Panasonic Develops 10 Times Higher Saturation and Highly Functional Global Shutter Technology by Controlling Organic-Photoconductive-Film on CMOS Image Sensor
OSAKA, JAPAN--(Business Wire/Korea Newswire) February 10, 2016 -- Panasonic Corporation today announced that it has developed a new highly functional global shutter technology for a CMOS image sensor using organic photoconductive film (OPF)*1. This technology enables the capture of a high speed moving object in up to 10 times brighter*2 scenes in global shutter mode. With the OPF CMOS image sensor, the charge-storage function and photoelectric-conversion function can be set independently. By utilizing this unique feature of the OPF CMOS image sensor, this technology solves the degradation of saturation signal in a conventional image sensor with global shutter function. Motion direction can be detected from an acquired object’s signal level in one picture through fine control of shutter sensitivity by changing applied voltage to OPF, which cannot be realized by conventional CMOS image sensors.
This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160205005216/en/
This newly developed highly functional global shutter technology contributes to high speed image sensing of moving objects without the image distortion that appears in a conventional shutter operation under very bright conditions. We expect this technology to be used widely in motion capture applications and also to be extended to other applications thought to be difficult to realize without a high saturation global shutter or variable sensitivity multiple exposures.
The new technology offers the following advantages.
1. Wide incident angle (60 degrees), high sensitivity, high saturation and highly-functional circuits due to the unique feature of OPF, in which an OPF for photoelectric-conversion and readout circuits are independent.
2. High saturation signal up to 10 times larger than conventional image sensors with global shutter function due to Photoelectric Conversion Controlled Global Shutter Technology.
This development is based on the following new technologies
1. CMOS Image Sensor Design Technology, where the OPF photoelectric-conversion part and the circuit part can be designed independently.
2. Photoelectric Conversion Controlled Global Shutter Technology realized by controlling organic photoconductive film sensitivity.
3. Variable Sensitivity Multiple Exposure Technology that can detect motion and its direction by changing image capturing sensitivity in each frame.
Panasonic holds 60 Japanese patents and 41 overseas patents (including pending) related to this technology.
Panasonic presented part of the research at the international conference ISSCC（International Solid-State Circuit Conference）2016 which was held in San Francisco, USA from January 31 to February 4.
*1: We use an organic photoconductive film (OPF) developed by FUJIFILM Corporation.
*2: Saturation signal per pixel area compared with conventional silicon based CMOS image sensors with global shutter function.
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development of diverse electronics technologies and solutions for customers in the consumer electronics, housing, automotive, enterprise solutions and device industries. Since its founding in 1918, the company has expanded globally and now operates 468 subsidiaries and 94 associated companies worldwide, recording consolidated net sales of 7.715 trillion yen for the year ended March 31, 2015. Committed to pursuing new value through innovation across divisional lines, the company uses its technologies to create a better life and a better world for its customers. To learn more about Panasonic: http://www.panasonic.com/global
View source version on businesswire.com: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160205005216/en/
Global Communication Department
Global Communication Department
- 파나소닉 프로젝터를 이용한 페스티벌 시티의 ‘이매진’ 쇼, 두 번째로 기네스 세계기록 수립
- Festival City's IMAGINE Show with Panasonic Projectors Receives Second Guinness World Record
- Panasonic Opens New Automotive Lithium-Ion Battery Factory in Dalian, China
- 파나소닉, 중국 다롄에 자동차 리튬이온 배터리 공장 준공
- 교토의 아름다움을 집으로: 제한된 시간 동안 절 두 곳에서 카메라 공유 서비스 PaN 제공 [파나소닉]