East Nippon Expressway Company Limited
Foreign visitors to Japan offered discount expressway pass
SENDAI, JAPAN--(Business Wire/Korea Newswire) February 16, 2016 -- East Nippon Expressway Company Ltd. (E-NEXCO) and the Miyagi Prefectural Road Corporation have partnered with NIPPON Rent-A-Car Tohoku Co., Ltd. and Toyota Rent a Car locations in six prefectures around Tohoku to offer the Tohoku Expressway Pass, a discounted expressway pass that caters to foreign visitors to Japan. The passes are available for purchase now.
The Tohoku Expressway Pass offers an exceptionally good deal. During the 2 to 14 day period, which is selected by users, anyone driving a rental car from a partner company (equipped with an ETC card reader) is granted unlimited travel privileges on expressways in the Tohoku region.
Benefits of the Tohoku Expressway Pass
(1) Convenience with a fixed rate
During the 2 to 14 days which users can make their own selection, they can explore the entire Tohoku area to go anywhere, anytime, for as many times as they want under a single fixed rate, which means that users can enjoy peace of mind without needing to deal with the fuss of toll fees.
(2) Use with confidence without having to know Japanese
Since the ETC (Electronic Toll Collection) system is used during travel, there is no need to stop to pay tolls to booth attendants. Foreign travelers can casually enjoy driving without concerning themselves with language barriers.
(3) More time for enjoyment
Traveling by expressway saves significant time. Feel free to savor all the wonders that the Tohoku region has to offer to your heart's content, including the local specialty products and regional dishes dispersed around the region, and the beauty that varies from season to season.
(4) Start your journey from any point in the region
There is no need to hesitate. Start from almost any point in Tohoku that is an airport or major station where bullet trains make stops.
Tohoku Expressway Pass details
(1) Pricing: 2-day pass, 4000 yen (2000 yen per day); 14-day pass, 12000 yen (857 yen per day).
(2) Dates: Application period ends on September 30th, 2016.
(3) Travel area: Expressways in 6 prefectures around the Tohoku region which are managed by E-NEXCO and Miyagi Prefectural Road Corporation.
(4) Eligible persons: Foreign passport holders or Japanese citizens with proof of permanent residence abroad.
(note that the driver must be a holder of a valid license that permits driving within Japan)
(5) How to use
1. Apply at any partner-run shop (for more information on participating shops, see the foreign language webpage links listed below)
2. Rent a rental vehicle and collect the ETC card.
3. Insert the ETC card in your rental vehicle for excursions in the travel area.
4. Conclude your trip.
5. Return the rental vehicle and ETC card to the partner shop.
ETC (Electronic Toll Collection) system is a system developed for paying tolls without stopping at toll booths. After inserting an ETC card into a vehicle mounted ETC device, the device will settle tolls wirelessly by communicating with receiving antennas installed at toll booths on roads that require tolls.
E-NEXCO “Tohoku Expressway Pass” foreign language webpages:
http://www.driveplaza.com/trip/drawari/tep2015/en.html (in English)
http://www.driveplaza.com/trip/drawari/tep2015/ch.html (in Chinese, traditional)
http://www.driveplaza.com/trip/drawari/tep2015/ck.html (in Chinese, simplified)
http://www.driveplaza.com/trip/drawari/tep2015/k.html (in Korean)
View source version on businesswire.com: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=51271175&lang=en