Procter & Gamble
Oral-B GENIUS intelligent toothbrush system combines revolutionary Position Detection Technology with Triple Pressure Control and the Professional Timer to help you brush like your dentist recommends
CINCINNATI--(Business Wire/Korea Newswire) February 22, 2016 -- Today at the GSMA Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2016 in Barcelona, Oral-B unveiled its latest innovation that sets a new oral care standard: Oral-B GENIUS, the first of its kind and Oral-B’s most intelligent brushing system available to-date. The new Oral-B GENIUS features groundbreaking Position Detection Technology that combines cutting-edge motion sensor technology located in the brush, and video recognition using the smartphone’s camera, to track areas being brushed so that no zone is missed. Users receive instant feedback on the brushing of each zone of the mouth via the Oral-B App 4.1, including guidance on pressure applied and brushing duration. These features combined with the Oral-B Oscillating-Rotating-Pulsating Technology and the unique round brush head helps users improve their oral health.
This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=51280802&lang=en
Oral-B GENIUS - Helps Users Brush like Their Dentist Recommends
“Patients are not brushing their teeth correctly, even though they think they are; they brush too hard, do not brush long enough, and miss zones of the mouth. This new brushing system helps us coach patients to brush properly, and improve these three main areas of patient brushing behaviors that affect their oral health,” said Dr. Jose Nart, DDS. “The Oral-B GENIUS and App take digital guidance to the next level by bringing awareness to what’s actually happening each time users brush and giving them real-time guidance to improve every brushing session. Now our patients can continue what’s started in the dental office at home - a professionally guided brushing routine.”
Healthy Teeth Status through Targeted Digital Guidance
Over time, brushing incorrectly can result in oral health issues such as tooth decay and even early tooth loss. Using Oral-B GENIUS, users are able to actively monitor their brushing routine via the Oral-B App 4.1. This real time feedback reduces guesswork, enabling users to brush for the dental professional-recommended two minutes, not apply too much pressure while brushing and - thanks to the new revolutionary Position Detection - never miss those commonly missed zones.
It’s About Brushing for the Right Length, Not Pressing Too Hard, and Never Missing a Zone
Oral-B GENIUS includes best-in-class product features, making it the most intelligent brushing system available that helps consumers smarten their daily brushing routines:
· Position Detection Technology: Senses and recognizes areas of the mouth users are cleaning via sensors built into the brush in combination with the smartphone. Oral-B research shows up to 80% of people spent insufficient time brushing in at least one zone in their mouth and 60% of people either didn’t brush their back molars at all, or spent insufficient time brushing them. Paired with the Oral-B App 4.1, the Position-Detection Technology in Oral-B GENIUS tracks brush position, and shows the user how to brush all zones in the mouth equally and evenly.
· Oscillating-Rotating-Pulsating Technology: Oral-B proprietary technology cleans tooth by tooth and its round brush head reaches areas that are often difficult to reach, providing a superior cleaning every session compared to a regular manual toothbrush.
· Triple Pressure Sensor Technology: Excessive pressure during brushing is one of the key reasons for gum tissue abrasions. Some manual users apply brushing forces two times the recommended pressure, which can be harmful to the gums. This technology protects gums from overaggressive brushing by visually indicating when too much pressure is applied, automatically slowing down the brush head speed, and stopping the pulsations. With Oral-B guidance system, up to 93% of aggressive brushers reduced their brushing force and the time spent brushing with excessive force was reduced by up to 88%.
· Professional Timer: Independent scientific research suggests that it is more important to brush all zones in the mouth evenly, rather than brushing longer. Even when not connected to the App, Oral-B’s Professional Timer ensures that each quadrant of the mouth is brushed for 30 seconds, to reach the dental professional-recommended two minute brushing session. People using the Oral-B App brush on average 2 minutes and 27 seconds, whereas manual brush users brush on average less than one minute.
Oral-B GENIUS enables more effective brushing sessions every day, like dental professionals recommend, while fitting seamlessly into users’ increasingly connected and mobile-dominated lives. But the genius does not stop there. This brush is the beautifully designed companion for everyone who wants a personalized, reliable, mobile and efficient helper to achieve their personal best oral care routine:
· Stylish smart travel case charges both the brush and a USB device, such as a smartphone, with a single plug for any voltage to make traveling easier than ever.
· Practical smartphone holder supports placement of phone on the mirror to ensure optimal use of Position Detection Technology while brushing, and is removable and re-attachable for flexible, on-the-go use.
· Lithium-Ion Battery with longer battery life gives users at least two weeks of brushing between charges.
· SmartRing, a personalized multicolor 360° lighting system, features 12 different colored lights that allow users to customize their brushes via the Oral-B App, making brushing experiences more enjoyable and personalized.
“Oral-B GENIUS sets a new standard in the industry, and will forever change how people approach brushing their teeth. It is the next big thing after the introduction of the electric brush overall as it helps eliminate the wrong behaviors in brushing,” said Stephen Squire, global marketing director, P&G. “We made a commitment to digitally connected brushing two years ago and to date we have received almost a million downloads of the Oral-B App. We have built upon that solid foundation to reinforce our position as the world’s leader in oral care technology with the evolution of our intelligent brushing system - the Oral-B GENIUS.”
Inspired by dental professionals and developed by designers at Braun™, Oral-B GENIUS is the most advanced, connected and intelligent brushing system in the market. The brand has a long and rich history of leading the category in developments that significantly improve oral care around the world. Oral-B introduced the world’s first Bluetooth® connected electric toothbrush in 2014, and has been working to improve upon the original by incorporating feedback from consumers and dental professionals. MWC attendees will be able to get an early look at Oral-B GENIUS and have a chance to become a brushing genius at the Oral-B booth, located in the popular App Planet exhibition hall.
The Oral-B GENIUS will be available in select markets starting in July 2016. The Oral-B App 4.1 will be available in July 2016 on iTunes and Google Play.
For more information, visit oralb.com/genius.
Oral-B® is the worldwide leader in the over $5 billion brushing market. Part of the Procter & Gamble Company, the brand includes manual and electric toothbrushes for children and adults, oral irrigators and interdental products, such as dental floss. Oral-B® manual toothbrushes are used by more dentists than any other brand in the U.S. and many international markets.
About Procter & Gamble
P&G serves consumers around the world with one of the strongest portfolios of trusted, quality, leadership brands, including Always®, Ambi Pur®, Ariel®, Bounty®, Charmin®, Crest®, Dawn®, Downy®, Fairy®, Febreze®, Gain®, Gillette®, Head & Shoulders®, Lenor®, Olay®, Oral-B®, Pampers®, Pantene®, SK-II®, Tide®, Vicks®, and Whisper®. The P&G community includes operations in approximately 70 countries worldwide. Please visit http://www.pg.com for the latest news and information about P&G and its brands.
 (Data on file, P&G Motion Tracking Study)
 (Janusz et al, JDCP Vol 9, No.7, Nov 2008)
 (Harnacke, D et al J Periodontol 2015 Jan; 86(1):101-107)
 (Data on file, Google Analytics 2015)
View source version on businesswire.com: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=51280802&lang=en
Procter & Gamble